Trent and Mersey Canal
- Trent and Mersey Canal
- Narrow Canal
- Fully Navigable
- 94 miles
- Max Width:
- Max length:
The Trent and Mersey runs ninety four miles south west from Preston Brook to the River Trent at Shardlow. The canal begins with a head on junction with the Bridgewater Canal just before Preston Broook Tunnel. The canal is wide beam until the centre of Middlewich where it becomes a narrow canal at Middlewich Bottom Lock. The Shropshire Union Canal joins the Trent and Mersey at Middlewich Junction. The canal also meets the Macclesfield Canal near Kidsgrove and the Caldon Canal in Stoke-on-Trent. The Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal joins at Great Haywood Junction. East of Burton-upon-Trent the canal becomes wide beam again.
Anderton Boat Lift is one of the Seven Wonders of the Waterways. It connects the Trent and Mersey Canal to the River Weaver. As the name suggests it is a huge lift for boats and is well worth seeing.
- Cities: Stoke-on-Trent
- Towns: Northwich (outskirts), Middlewich, Sandbach (town centre 1 mile from canal, bus service available), Kidsgrove, Stone, Rugeley, Burton upon Trent
- Villages: Preston Brook, Barnton, Wincham, Rudheath, Wheelock, Rode Heath, Barlaston, Weston, Great Haywood, Little Haywood Armitage, Alrewas, Willington, Stenson, Weston-on-Trent, Shardlow
Services and Facilities
- Anderton Services: Water, Elsan disposal, pump-out, toilet, shower. Laundry, parking
- Wheelock Services: Water, Elsan disposal, toilet, shower. Parking
- Red Bull Services: Water, Elsan disposal, pump-out, toilet, shower. Parking, laundry
- Harecastle (North) services: Elsan disposal, toilet, shower
- Stone Bridge No. 95: Water, Elsan disposal, refuse disposal
- Below Newcastle Road Lock: Water, Elsan disposal, refuse disposal
- Star Lock, Bridge No. 93: Refuse disposal
- Etruria: Water, Elsan disposal, pump-out, toilet, shower, refuse disposal. Shaver point
- Spode: Water
- Horninglow Sanitary Station: Water, Elsan disposal, toilet
- Oakamoor Cafe between bridges 36 and 37: Refuse disposal
- Barton Turn Lock: Water, refuse disposal
- Alrewas Lock: Water
- Fradley Service Station: Water, Elsan disposal, toilet, shower, refuse disposal
- Willington Sanitary Station: Water, Elsan disposal, toilet, refuse disposal
- Swarkestone Lock: Water, refuse disposal
- Weston Lock: Water
- Shardlow Lock: Water
BW key required for services and facilities.
- Saltersford Tunnel visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Anderton visitor moorings: Maximum stay 48 hours
- Lion Salt Works visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Wincham Wharf visitor moorings: Maximum 24 hours
- Broken Cross visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Middlewich Park (Bridge 172) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Kings Lock (Bridge 167) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Wheelock visitor moorings: Maximum 48 hours
- Hassall Green visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Rode Heath (Bridge 138) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Church Lawton (Bridge 136) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Red Bull visitor moorings: Maximum 48 hours
- Harecastle (North) visitor moorings: Tunnel only. 24 hours
- Harecastle (South) visitor moorings: Tunnel only. 24 hours
- West Port (Bridge 128) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- West Port (Bridge 128) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Festival Park (Bridge 117) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Glebe Street visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Hyde Park Tiles (Bridge 109) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Trentham (Bridge 106) visitor moorings: Maximum 14 days
- Barlaston: Maximum 7 days
- Stone (above Limekiln Basin): Maximum 5 day
- Stone (above Star Lock): Maximum 48 hour
- Stone: Maximum 24 hour
- Stone (below Star Lock): Maximum 48 hour
- Stone: Maximum 5 day
- Etruria visitor moorings (Trent & Mersey): Maximum 14 days
- Great Haywood Junction moorings: Maximum 48 hour
- Wolseley Br: Maximum 14 day.
- Rugeley Narrows - Br 66: Maximum 7 day
- Handsacre downstream of Br 58: Maximum 14 day
- Horninglow, Br 32 u/s: Maximum 7 day
- Burton, Br 33 u/s: Maximum 7 day
- Burton, Centrum 100, downstream of Pipe Br: Maximum 7 day
- Branston, Br 34: Maximum 48 hours
- Branston Water Park: Maximum 48 hours
- Barton Turn Br 38: Maximum 48 hours
- Alrewas - Bagnall Lock: Maximum 14 day
- Alrewas Village: Maximum 14 day
- Fradley Junction, Above Shadehouse Lock: Maximum 14 day
- Fradley Junction, Nature Reserve: Maximum 48 hours
- Willington, Br 23: Maximum 7 day
- Findern, Br 21, (Opp Greyhound Pub): Maximum 14 day
- Stenson (above lock): Maximum 14 day
- Swarkestone (above lock): Maximum 14 day
- Shardlow, Wilne Lane Br 2 to Shardlow: Maximum 48 hours
- Shardlow (off side) above Br 2: Maximum 48 hours
- Preston Brook to Horninglow Basin, Burton-upon-Trent: Craft up to 9ft 6in beam can navigate the canal from the Bridgewater Canal to Croxton Aqueduct, but Preston Brook Tunnel will need extreme caution at this beam. A craft with a full-width superstructure at this beam would not pass through the tunnel.
- Craft up to 12ft 6in beam can access the Anderton to Croxton Aqueduct section via the Anderton Lift, but considerable care is needed as the channel is narrow in places.
- Preston Brook Tunnel: Access to Preston Brook Tunnel is restricted to northbound on the hour to 10 mins past the hours; southbound on the half hour to 20 mins to the hour. 1239 yards long and forbidden to unpowered craft No towpath within this crooked tunnel.
- Saltersford Tunnel: Saltersford Tunnel is crooked, affording only a brief glimpse of the other end. Two boats cannot pass. 424 yards in length.
- Barnton Tunnel: Barnton Tunnel is crooked. 572 yards in length. Two boats can not pass each other.
- Lock 61, Cardboard Lock and Lock 54: This lock (left-hand side) is slightly narrow. The lock is paired so full-beam craft should use the right-hand lock.
- Bridge 61A, Rugeley Road Bridge: Site of Armitage Tunnel. Though the tunnel was opened out in the 1970s, the canal is still narrow here and passage is one-way only.
- Bridge 51, Junction Bridge; and Lock 13, Bagnall Lock: Alrewas River status warning sign located here
- Lock 12, Alrewas Lock: Strong river currents, look at River status on warning signs
- Bridge 43, Wychnor Lock Bridge: Alrewas River status warning sign located here
- Bridge 39, Mill Bridge: Barton Turns Marina. Alrewas river status warning sign located here.
- Lock 7, Dallow Lock: BW key required.
- Horninglow Basin: Winding Hole for Boats up to 70' and wide beam
- Shardlow to Derwent Mouth: Navigation should be possible for boats of up to 81ft, but please consult the waterway office first. he width pinch point between Shardlow Locks and Derwent Mouth is the Environment Agency floodgates at Shardlow, which are 14ft 9in wide.
- Findern Foot Bridge: Very weak. Pedestrians must cross one at a time.
- Bridge 2, Wilne Bridge: Strong river currents. Look at river status on warning signs. Lights operated by the Environment Agency.